We all make a lot of choices during our parenting journey, including the products we use for our children. As first time parents we have experimented with a lot of brands when it comes to diapers and absolutely swear by MamyPoko! Read on to find out why.
Toddlerhood is a new, exciting journey altogether.
Now that little Vera has entered the terrific two's, things are just about to get more challenging for us. This is the time when we will see ourselves evolve and try to inculcate the right values during the worst of times - read: refrain from going crazy during tantrums and meltdowns.
Our little one has also recently started childcare, kicking off with half-day sessions. This month we aim to transition her into full-day sessions. While we are looking forward to it, we are a bit nervous too. SO, what our main fears?
Bath times and taking naps in school.
In school, bath times are quick as the kids bathe standing, and they nap on mattresses during the day.
As a mother, these two aspects are enough for me to hold back on a full-day session, for fear that she would react adversely. That would be one of our worst nightmares.
After much thought, I've realised that in all honesty, it boils down to her insecurity and lack of confidence on my part.
A mummy’s fears
I must admit that I'm not the most maternal of mums. Hats off to mums who spend 24/7 with their child doing crafts and all sorts of fun activities together and are all smiles at the end of the day without a hair out of place. I may not be able to do that, but I try my best to be present.
When I compare myself to other mums (who does not?), I feel inadequate; as if I'm not doing much for my child, except cooking for her on weekends or conjuring up new recipes when time permits - which, unfortunately, is getting rarer these days.
The choices we make define the parents we become
But when it comes to making decisions about her development and over all well-being, one thing is for sure -- my child takes the priority seat.
- If we are sharing a meal, I'll make sure she gets the best parts, especially her favourite foods like egg or fish.
- If we're shopping for groceries, I'll make sure she gets her fresh milk, UHT milk, favourite cheese, and fresh variety of fruits to keep her healthy, because nutrition is so important for children.
- If we're out in a new environment, I make sure to tell her what we are seeing, be it a Christmas decoration or a pretty dress in the mall.
- If she misbehaves, I make sure to keep her in check and correct her.
- If we're getting her daily essentials, I'll make sure we choose the better-than-average ones, which are good for her, especially since she has had a bout of terrible eczema recently.
Motherhood has made me realise that we are all different, and we subscribe to varying methods of trying to play this role well.
It all boils down to making choices during our parenthood journey. So when it comes to products that we use, we tend to be selective and mindful. As a first-time parent, we have gone through scores of products and learnt that it takes trial and error to work out what suits your child and works well for them. Making the right choices for your child is a way to confident parenting.
As a mum I worry about a lot of things when it comes to my daughter, and this includes her diapers. Click on the next page to find out why her diapers are so important to my parenting.