11-Year-Old boy dies after smell of cooking fish. Can you be allergic to smells of foods?
Can you be allergic to smells of foods? In a shocking incident, a 11-year-old boy died in an apparent allergic reaction to the smell of cooked fish.
Can you be allergic to smells of foods? In a shocking incident, a 11-year-old boy died in an apparent allergic reaction to the smell of fish cooking.
He had a known allergy to seafood.
The sad incident happened on New Year's Day at Brooklyn in New York.
According to reports, fish was being cooked in the house, when the boy, Camron Jean-Pierre, started wheezing and showing signs of an allergic reaction.
His father quickly reached for his nebulizer, but it did not seem to be effective.
He then called emergency services, but things quickly spiralled out of control.
The child was apparently gasping, saying, “I love you, Daddy. I love you. I feel like I’m dying.”
The boy soon lost consciousness and was rushed to a nearby hospital, but it was too late. He was pronounced dead.
Authorities are currently investigating the exact cause of the incident.
A food allergy occurs when the body’s immune system overreacts to a specific food on a regular basis.
Children are most commonly allergic to these foods:
- tree nuts (such as walnuts and cashews)
- shellfish (such as shrimp)
Food allergy reactions can affect any of the four following areas of the body:
- Skin: itchy red bumps (hives), eczema, redness and swelling of the face or extremities, itching and swelling of the lips, tongue, or mouth
- Gastrointestinal tract: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhoea
- Respiratory tract: runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath
- Cardiovascular system: lightheadedness or fainting
Adela Taylor, who chairs the allergy and asthma center at Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wis., has said that, though such cases are rare, it is possible “to have an allergic reaction to steam or fumes produced by cooking seafood.”
“Published research articles indicate fish protein can be detected in steam and fumes during cooking or processing. It is possible that a person who is exposed to cooking steam or fumes, especially in an enclosed space, could have an allergic reaction.”
“There are case reports of severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, from inhalation of fumes from cooking fish, but it is a very rare presentation.”
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology also warns those with fish allergies to “stay out of areas where fish is being cooked, as proteins may be released into the air during cooking."
If your child has allergies (especially to insect stings, food, or certain medicine), it is important to know that sometimes, the child can have a more severe allergic reaction.
She may be wheezing and have breathing difficulties. Her blood pressure can drop, breathing tubes can narrow, and the tongue can swell. This is known as anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and is sudden and life-threatening.
The most common signs that someone might have anaphylaxis after exposure to an allergen are:
- trouble breathing
- throat tightness or feeling like the throat or airways are closing
- hoarseness or trouble speaking
- nasal stuffiness or coughing
- nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
- fast heartbeat or pulse
- skin itching, tingling, redness, or swelling
Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical attention. It can get worse very quickly.