Anaphylactic shock in Singapore kids: "I Almost Lost My Son Today..."

lead image

Anaphylatic shock in Singapore kids, "His airway had swelled and was cutting off his air supply. It was between life and death."

You never know when an allergic reaction can strike, and this Singapore dad had the shock of his life, when his son exhibited life-threatening symptoms after dinner recently.

Anaphylactic shock in Singapore kids: “I almost lost a son today”

Daddy Steve Ong put up a Facebook post on what exactly happened and says, “I almost lost a son…”

He elaborates, “During dinner, Braxton had some soba noodles and oranges. Shortly after, his lips and eyes turn reddish, and tummy began to bloat.”

Then things started turning ugly, “My wife thought its due to earlier medication as he was sick for past few days. However things turned complicated. He started to cough (wheezing sound) and developed difficulty breathing.”

Thankfully, the mum was able to rush him to the nearest clinic, “Sensing something not right, my wife quickly rushed him to the clinic located in the mall (luckily its still open) for immediate medical aid.”

“Dr Lai Yirong of Physicians Practice Family Medical Centre at United Sq overheard Brax’s unusual coughing sound and dashed out of her room to assess his condition.”

“His airway had swelled and was cutting off his air supply. It was between life and death.”

The doctor was quick to respond to the situation, “She quickly carried out treatment on Brax but he was totally unresponsive and in the state of sleep. “Keep him awake! Don’t let him sleep!” Dr Lai told my wife.”

“The situation was very tense and Dr Lai did all she could to regain his breathing. Finally his condition took a turn after nebuliser was administered. My son was saved and coping well now, currently warded for further observation and allergic test.”

anaphylactic shock in Singapore kids


Little Braxton had apparently suffered a severe allergic reaction, known as an anaphylatic shock, “To all parents, we witnessed how life threatening an allergic reaction could be.”

Daddy Steve thinks the soba noodles were to blame, “And it could potentially be due to the soba noodle (buckwheat ingredient) where reported cases of anaphylactic shock in Japan and UK took away a few lives.”

He warns other parents, “If your kids are trying out soba for the first time, pls pay some attention.”  

Thank you, Steve, for sharing this important information, we hope Braxton recovers soon!

Anaphylactic shock in Singapore kids

If your child has allergies (especially to insect stings, foods, or certain medicines), it is important to know that sometimes, the child can have a more severe allergic reaction.

She may be wheezing and have breathing difficulties. Her blood pressure can drop, breathing tubes can narrow, and the tongue can swell. This is known as anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and is sudden and life-threatening. 

The most common signs that someone might have anaphylaxis after exposure to an allergen are:

  • trouble breathing
  • throat tightness or feeling like the throat or airways are closing
  • hoarseness or trouble speaking
  • wheezing
  • nasal stuffiness or coughing
  • nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
  • fast heartbeat or pulse
  • skin itching, tingling, redness, or swelling

Anaphylaxis requires immediate treatment. It can get worse very quickly.

This is why doctors usually advise people with life-threatening allergies to carry a medication called epinephrine. 

If your child shows signs of a serious allergic reaction, give the epinephrine auto-injector right away, as every second counts. 

Further treatment can be given at the emergency room, if needed. Your child also needs to be under medical supervision for at least 4 hours.

Also READ: Toddler has severe peanut allergy on Singapore Airlines flight without eating peanuts!

(Additional Source: KidsHealth)

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android, now!

Written by