We all probably have a microwave oven in our kitchens. But we mostly use it for heating or defrosting food.
Well, did you know that you can actually do so much more with your microwave?
This gallery will show you how you can create amazing meals and desserts in just a few minutes using, you guessed it, your microwave!
1. Peanut Butter Banana Choc Chip Breakfast (or Dessert!) Cookie
Peanut butter, banana AND chocolate chips for breakfast (or dessert)?
It can’t get any better than this decadent cookie! And the icing on the cake is that it can be ready in less than 2 minutes!
Try using white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
2. Chicken and Mushroom in Spicy Tomato Sauce
This may look like a dish that will have you slaving away for hours in a hot kitchen… but looks can be deceiving!
This is a great dish that’s full of flavour and healthy, too, and you can whip it up in your microwave!
Click here for the recipe.
Choose chicken thighs or legs as they are more flavourful and succulent than chicken breast when cooked.
3. Creamy Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is the ultimate comfort drink.We’re not talking about a quick cup of Milo… we’re talking about the real deal here — made with real cocoa powder and that sticky-sweet alternative to milk, i.e. condensed milk!Try out this awesome recipe tonight… and make sure you have your favourite person and your favourite romantic movie ready, so you can curl up together and sip on creamy, chocolate-y bliss!
– For a healthier version, substitute the condensed milk with regular or low-fat milk.
– For a more ‘adult’ version, add a dash of rum or Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur to your drink! And don’t forget to change the serving size on the recipe website to suit your needs.
4. Simple Eggplant
Eggplant is such a versatile vegetable. When cooked properly, its soft, creamy flesh is perfect in dips and pastas, or just spread on some crusty bread and enjoyed with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
However, to get perfectly cooked eggplant, you often have to cook it for a fair amount of time, either in the oven or on the stovetop.
Well, we’ve got good news for you! This great recipe teaches you how to get perfectly cooked eggplant… in the microwave oven!
– Scoop out the eggplant flesh and whizz it in the food processor with some olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper for an amazing dip!
5. Easy Chocolate Cake
Did you ever think you could whip up a chocolate cake in a microwave oven? Well, you most certainly can with this super recipe!
The best part is it will be ready in just 8 minutes!
– For extra sweetness, increase the quantity of sugar in the recipe to 1/2 cup.
– Whip up chocolate ganache for this cake by pouring 1 cup of hot (not boiled) heavy whipping cream over 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir and, lo and behold, your ganache will be ready for use!
6. Delicious sauce for Grilled Asian Chicken
Imagine that it’s one of those days when you have guests coming to dinner and you haven’t planned a meal, or you want a quick but healthy dinner after work.
You’ve got some chicken and a grill-pan and now you just need a delicious sauce to pull it all together.
Well, look no further — here’s the perfect recipe for sweet, sticky, aromatic sauce for grilled chicken… made in your microwave!
– Serve this chicken with healthy, homemade fried rice and sautéed greens.
7. Minute Microwave Cheesecake
Cheesecake is an all-time favourite dessert for many. After all, who can resist a crumbly, buttery, sweet biscuit base topped with silky-smooth cream cheese filling?
To make this delightful dessert in a jiffy, all you need is this recipe… and your microwave oven!
– You can substitute high-fat cream cheese and sour cream for a lower-fat product.
– You can use egg white in place of the entire egg if you need to further cut the fat content in the recipe.
– You may opt to add fresh, whipped heavy cream and the fruit of your choice as a topping.
8. Coconut Curry Sauce for Spicy Grilled Prawns
Betty Crocker provides us with this amazing recipe for a delicious coconut-y sauce for succulent grilled prawns.
– Serve these tasty prawns with some steamed rice and fresh greens, or just a salad.
– To liven up the prawn marinade, add grated fresh ginger, garlic and finely chopped kaffir lime and coriander before grilling.
9. Easy Peasy Mac and Cheese
A bowl of creamy, cheesy piping hot mac and cheese has to be the ultimate comfort food and is a popular favourite among kids too.
With this recipe, now you can whip up this all-time favourite in a matter of minutes!
– Add diced ham or tomatoes, or top with more cheese and pop under the grill for a crispy cheddar crust.
10. Mochi Donuts
Mochi is Japanese rice cake made of mochigome, a short-grain japonica glutinous rice.
Now you can create these delicious Mochi Donuts in your microwave in a matter of minutes!
– To make the chocolate glaze:
You need 1 cup of chopped chocolate with 1/4 cup heavy cream. Heat up the heavy cream until boiling and pour over chocolate and stir until smooth.
You might need to heat the chocolate mixture slightly (about 20 sec in microwave) to get chocolate completely smooth. Dip donuts and then let the glaze cool and set.3
11. Microwave Risotto
Risotto is a delicious Italian rice-based dish that is a great meal for the whole family.
The only issue with the traditional way of making it is the amount of time you have to spend near your cooktop, stirring the risotto till it’s done.
Good thing this amazing recipe takes the hard work out of making risotto — you’re left with delicious results in just a matter of minutes!
– Stir through chopped, fresh herbs before eating this risotto for a burst of freshness and flavour!
12. Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark
You don’t have to wait till Christmas to make this festive treat! This recipe is so simple and easy that you could even make it every day if you like!
– Substitute the milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips for a more ‘grown-up’ taste.
13. 1-Minute Microwave Quiche in a Mug
Mug-snacks are all the rage these days so here’s a really quick recipe for delicious quiche in a mug!
It’s perfect for a quick dinner or even a speedy breakfast.
– Toss in some swiss cheese, ham and spinach for a really fancy version of this quiche.
14. Single-Serving Blueberry Muffin
There are days when you just crave for a tea-time (or any-time!) sweet treat… such as a yummy, warm blueberry muffin!
So the next time you have that craving, pop the ingredients for this super simple (and healthy!) muffin into your microwave and before you can say ‘blueberry muffin’, it’ll be ready!
– Substitute the blueberries with golden raisins, bits of chopped up strawberries, or chocolate chips. You can even mix some chopped nuts through the batter.
15. Easy Potato Chips
Potato chips are our favourite guilty pleasure!
We all love these addictively delicious, crunchy, salty but not-so-good-for-you treats.Don’t you wish there was a way you could indulge in this yummy treat and not be worried about the oil used to make them?
Don’t you wish there was a way to make them at home?
Well, wish no more — there is a way with this awesome microwave potato chip recipe!
– Substitute the potato with sweet potato or thinly sliced parsnip — equally delicious and super healthy!
– You can also sprinkle your cooked chips with some chili powder or flakes for that extra ‘bite’!
16. Rocky Road Candy
Rocky Road candy is such a delectable treat. There’s something special about the combination of sweet chocolate, soft marshmallows and crunchy nuts.
Make a batch of delicious Rocky Road candy for your family and friends by following this super simple recipe.
– Make a double batch… Rocky Road candy keeps really well in the fridge!
17. Prawn Balchao
In the mood for Indian cuisine? No problem — you can make this tasty prawn dishin the comfort of your own home, using your microwave!
– Fresh prawns always taste better than frozen prawns.
18. Rice pudding
Rice pudding is such a treat for both adults and kids. It’s also a very versatile dish as you can flavour it with a large range of ingredients.
Find out what we mean by checking out this really easy microwave recipe!
– Add a little more milk if you prefer the consistency to be a bit more ‘soupy’.
19. Flaky Microwave Salmon
We all know the benefits of eating fish. A fish like salmon, in particular, is full of nutrients and is a healthy meal choice for your whole family.
Cooking salmon has never been easier with this amazingly quick recipe!
– Substitute salmon with any other firm-fleshed fish fillet.
– Try different marinades such as ginger, soya sauce and chili, or olive oil, lemon zest and chopped fresh herbs.
20. Sesame Udon Noodles
Yes, you read it right! You can actually make this Asian treat in the microwave!
Have this as a meal on its own or serve it as a side dish with an Asian feast.
– Toast sesame seeds in a dry saucepan over medium heat. Shake pan, or stir occasionally until lightly browned, for about 3 minutes.
– Sprinkle with finely chopped red chili if you like your food super spicy.
– Add extra vegetables such as broccoli or Chinese cabbage for a healthy boost.