Is it time to service your air-conditioner?
Regular maintenance helps your air conditioner function better, but do you know how to tell when it's time to service your air conditioner? Find out by reading this article.
Living in Singapore, we get a good dose of warm sunshine throughout the year. However, we all know that the weather can get quite hot and humid, especially towards the middle of the year.
Because of this, air-conditioning has become a necessity for many Singaporean families. The truth is, most of us savour the feeling of walking into a cool air-conditioned room after being out in the hot sun.
But like any other piece of electrical equipment, air-conditioners (or aircons, as many of us like to call them) need to be well-maintained to make sure they function properly.
How often should you go for aircon servicing?
How often you should service your aircon depends on how frequently you use it, according to the air-conditioning experts at Gain City Singapore,
For example, if you use it on a daily basis, then bi-monthly servicing is recommended. However, if you only use your aircon occasionally, then quarterly servicing should be adequate.
When aircon servicing is neglected, dirt accumulates on the air filters, impeding proper airflow and leading to increased energy consumption and high energy bills.
Because of this, it is really important to service the air filters once a month and clean or replace them as necessary. Besides the air filters, the condition of other components of an air-conditioner system such as the refrigerant, pipes and motors also affects its efficiency.
Regular aircon serving can ensure all these parts are in top working condition.
Signs that your aircon needs to be serviced
So how do you know when you need to give your aircon some loving? Here are some signs to look out for:
1. The air-conditioner turns off and on very frequently
Some air-conditioners (especially those with an energy-saving mode) are able to self-regulate, i.e., they turn off when the room is at the desired temperature and turn on again when it starts getting warm.
However, if your aircon turns off and on very frequently, then you probably need to service it. Likewise, if your air-conditioner keep shorting out the fuses or circuit breakers, you will need a professional to check it out.
2. It doesn’t cool the air as efficiently
An air-conditioner that is in good working order will usually take a short time to cool a room to the required temperature, compared to one that is faulty.
If you notice that your aircon is taking a longer-than-usual time to get things nice and chilly, then the experts at Gain City point out that it’s highly likely that it’s time for aircon servicing.
More aircon servicing reminders on the next page…
3. An aircon with an energy-saving mode runs almost continuously
If you have an energy-saving aircon that runs continually and you need to turn it off manually, then it’s probably time for some aircon servicing.
Continuous running may mean that either the cooling ability of your air-conditioner has been reduced, or the temperature sensor is not working. You can end up with some very high power bills with this.
4. The aircon makes unusual or excessive noises
New and well-serviced air-conditioners run almost silently. But over time and as you continue to use it, the aircon may start wearing out. As a result, you may notice that your air-conditioner is getting rather noisy.
5. There might be lessened air flow from the vents.
One of the most noticeable warning signs that indicate the need for aircon servicing is a reduction in the amount of air-flow coming out of the aircon vent.
Additionally, if you notice water or refrigerant leaking from the air-conditioner, call a technician without delay.
Some more expert tips
- Gain City aircon experts recommend washing the aircon filter often. After popping out the front grill of the unit with a putty knife, remove the mesh filter. Wash it together with the grill in a mixture of warm, soapy water and bleach to remove any mould.
- Put your aircon on fan mode for 15 minutes to blow dry the aircon before shutting it off. This will prevent unpleasant smells emitting from your aircon.
- Check the seal between the air-conditioner and the window frame to make sure it is in contact with the unit’s metal case. If there is a gap, cool air will escape from your house.
- To make the most of the cool air provided by your aircon, keep some blinds down or curtains drawn. Needless to say, you should never have any windows open while your aircon is running!
- Having a fan on while the aircon is running will ensure that the cool air is circulated more effectively.
- If you’re purchasing a new air-conditioner, ensure that it scores high on energy efficiency and look for one with an energy-saving mode. Gain City aircon experts say that a good energy rating helps to save electricity, money and you also do your part to protect the environment.
If you live in an HDB flat, click this link to read some useful information on installing an aircon in your home.
We hope you found this article useful. Who does your aircon servicing? Do share their details with us by leaving a comment below!