Is crispy roast pork your family's favourite dish? Try making it at home with the step-by-step instructions in this crispy roast pork belly recipe!
1-1.4kg pork belly
2 pieces preserved red bean curd (紅腐乳/南乳)
3 tablespoons juice of preserved red bean curd
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons five spice powder
2 teaspoons white pepper
1 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
1. Start by making the marinate. Whisk together preserved red beacurd, the juice of the red beancurd, salt, oyster sauce, sugar, five spice powder Shaoxing wine, and white pepper in a bowl.
2. Poke the skin with an Instrument of Torture (a special skewer which you can buy in any plastic-bucket shop). There is no need to poke too deeply.
3. The more holes you poke, the more blistering there would be later. So just keep poking.
4. Turn the meat over, and cut some slits on the meat. Slather on the marinade. Make sure that the marinade gets onto the sides too.
5. Turn the meat back around. Dry the skin thoroughly with a kitchen towel.
6. Pour the remaining marinate into a tray/ dish that is about the size as the meat. Carefully transfer the meat into the tray/ dish, with the skin facing up. Make sure that the skin is REALLY dry. Place the entire tray (uncovered) in the fridge over night for the skin to dry out.
7. Before roasting, take the pork out of the fridge and place the tray on the kitchen counter for about an hour for the meat to come to room temperature. Near the of the hour, preheat your oven to 220°C.
See the rest of the steps for this crispy roast pork belly recipe on the next page.